Enjoy Thailand with a Thai Retirement Visa


Thai Retirement Visa:

When I went to France this past April, I remembered how life can be expensive. Life is pricey in Europe and it is pricey in the US as well. As I see so many people with low income struggling to make ends meet, especially the seniors who get less and less retirement money every year… I wonder why they haven’t thought of getting a Thai retirement visa and enjoy their last years of life with enough money to live comfortably.

I am settled in Bangkok and I love Thailand, so each time I visit my family and friends abroad I always kind of tell them the benefits of living there compared to living in France. Many who have visited Thailand agree with me, those who haven’t wish they will. Each time I live the kingdom, I can’t wait returning!

For families who still work, a move to another country would be very challenging, especially for finding a job, and they would need a Business visa instead of a Thai retirement Visa; but for retirees, only habits, maybe children and friends, or the fear of moving, keep them where they are. Single or couple retirees can enjoy lots of benefits relocating to Thailand as the cost of living is much cheaper.

Some living costs in Bangkok:

– Studio Rent: $170-340/month – guarantee 1 month
– House Rent: $200-675/month
– Broadband Internet: $40/month for decent speed (there is cheaper)
– 3 G Internet: $17/month
– Electricity with air con: $20-50/month
– Water: $7/month
– Food/person: $300/month

On the lower end you need around $630. It is even cheaper in the provinces. If your retirement income is $1,000, think of what you could have as extras: eating in nice restaurants, going to the beach, buying a pair of new glasses, having your teeth done, hiring a maid, playing golf, and even saving money.

A cost I did not mention above is health insurance. This is something that you really need in order to have access to the best hospital facilities. You can have your own foreign policy or buy one in Thailand, which is also affordable.

You also need to fit in the immigration requirements for a Thai retirement Visa

Thai Retirement Visa

Below is the information you need to apply for your Thai retirement Visa.


 Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

1. Eligibility:

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).

1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.

1.4 Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.

1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535.

2. Required Documents:

– Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

– 3 copies of completed visa application forms.

– 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six months.

– A personal data form.

– A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht.

– In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

– A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

– A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

– In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarized by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

3. Channels to submit application:

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel:0-2141-9889.

4. Visa fee: 5,000 Baht for multiple entries

5. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom:

5.1 Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

5.2 At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand. The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

5.3 Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:

– A report form (Tor Mor 47).

– A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp.

– A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.

– A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed.

Such documents must be sent to the Immigration Division 1, 120 Moo 3, Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 and must be submitted 7 days before the end of every 90-day period. A receipt of acknowledgement will be given and should be used for future correspondence.

5.4 Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.

Source: Thai immigration website

Hope you will successfully get your Thai retirement Visa, and I will see you in the land of smile!

Michel Gerard

What can I do for you?

Michel Gerard's courses are on Uthena!

Post Navigation